Thursday, April 26, 2007

Wednesday

My Mom and I have this running joke that comes from watching Olympic gymnastics. When the athlete completes the routine and lands on the mat, they do this little footwork, with a flourishing wave and the announcer will say "...And they stuck the landing." Sometimes, that was the only stellar part of the performance. My Mom and my joke began when one of us would have a less than graceful moment and as we tried to regain our composure, we would say, "At least I stuck my landing."

On Wednesday, I was trying to find a building in downtown St. Paul for a monthly meeting. I began my downward spiral that ended with an "ungraceful performance". After I spent 10 minutes driving around the same 4 block radius, looking for 400 Sibley, which IS NOT, by the way, on the block between 3rd and 4th... I parked my car and began to wander aimlessly. I must have grabbed the attention of the hot dog vendor because she asked me what I was trying to find. Probably a slow day for the hot dog business. She suggested I head down toward 3rd. I walked all the way to Kellogg and knew it was not right. At this point, I figured I had two options, call my boss and cry for help or go home, hanging my head in shame, knowing I had been defeated by the city of St. Paul. At that point, I was fine with either option.

However, my boss called me back and I explained my problem and he offered to come down and meet me on the corner to show me where to go. I was close but not close enough. I saw him standing on the corner and began to cross the street. He started talking to me and next thing I know, I lost my footing, and fell down hard on my hands and knees...my right knee in particular.

Not only was my boss an eye witness, and he gave me a hand up, but there were many other people in the area who also so my performance. I did not stick the landing.

But I got a day off. And a visit to the workman's comp doc.Not to mention a HUGE bruise on my knee and a scraped palm. It will be fun watching it change colors over the next week.

No comments: