Saturday, May 8, 2010

Back in the saddle...

Ok, I confess, I signed up on eHarmony. I don't think I want to explain the many complex and varied reasons why. I just did. It was a bit of a whim. Actually, there was another site I had been on before and became involved in a 2 year relationship. That ended badly. I first checked back there for a 7 day "Free Preview because we want you back". Out of that little experience, I got an email from a GI in Iraq, supposedly but then the more he started writing, the more it seemed like something was off and I wondered if this was a real person. I was also IM'd by someone who really did not want to get to know me but was interested in what can be described as nothing else but "cyber sex". That was scary. No thanks.

I had been slowly transitioning out of an old email but did not know how to close it down and part of me did not really want to close it because "what if..." but after these two experiences, I figured it out quickly and do not regret it. Everyone who does know me has my real email or has been notified of the change.

So, then eHarmony had many aspects of safety. It is not foolproof but there are many barriers to outright communication with someone before they can get any identifying information or contact information. So, tonight, I have a date with a match. So far, he seems pretty normal. We have seen each other's pictures and talked on the phone a lot.

I'm excited. But I am very nervous. It has been a long time since anyone has asked me out and I don't know if I can even think of someone planning out the whole evening. That part seems very sweet. I have my safety plan in place. One of my friends has my itinerary and knows where I am going to be throughout the evening and she has asked me to send her a text when I get home. Several other people know I am going out. I will have my cell phone and if I need help, for some reason, I know who I can count on. It's doubtful I will need to institute any sort of back-up plan but these days, it is good to have one.

No comments: