Monday, March 26, 2007

The Hair is Always Better on Someone Else's Head

At church on Sunday, my class watched a video about the perspective of being "rich" and then had a discussion about the various issues surrounding "riches". One of the things I thought about after leaving the class was how much people compare themselves with other people. Ironically, I had been driving to church and silently lamenting the state of my hair and how frustrating it was that I cannot get my hair to do what I want it to do. And then the thought occurred to me that there are probably women who would like to have my hair because of it's color, its straightness or any number of other things because they are frustrated with their own hair.

Even more ironically, after the class, one of my friends was commenting how her hair is so curly that she can't even comb it after showering because it will turn into an afro. I remarked that I wish my hair had more body. She then remarked how my hair had such nice body and waves to it...I then countered that it takes me a lot of hard work with the curling iron as well a number of products to give my hair some grip so that it will hold a curl.

The very things that I find annoying about my own hair, my friend was envying and vice versa. Ironic.

Then I started thinking about the video we had just watched about wanting more than we have, not being satisfied with what we do have and not realizing that to someone else, we have great wealth. I don't think I should complain about my hair anymore. It is thick and I love the color. And now I have found a length and style that has the versatility that I like having. And I will try not to envy those with naturally curly hair.

Furthermore, I will work on looking at my closet for what it has and not what I feel it is lacking or what I think it is lacking. I want to learn to be content.

No comments: