Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Un-iversary

August is one month I do not look forward to for many reasons. It marks the imminent end of summer. It is usually the hottest month and I find myself suffering under the heat and humid. It also marks the anniversary of my flight from Texas, 7 years ago and then a year later to the week, my divorce after 10 years of marriage.

I thought I was doing fine this year. I was very busy in July and knew that this time was coming. I figured that awareness was the bulk of my battle. So, I was surprised last week when I found myself falling apart. I was crying over the smallest thing. I found myself oversensitive, irritable and irrational.

I guess that awareness did not prevent the emotions from rising to the surface. I did do some things differently this year however. Instead of shutting myself out and hiding from the world, I reached out to friends. And many friends reached back out to me with love and support.

So, maybe every year, I will continue to remember that Un-iversary. It slowly feels less and less painful but I think of it like a scar; I always know it's there and sometimes the old wounds ache. But I am so thankful that I have family and friends who love me and surround me, especially in those times when that scar is throbbing.

No comments: