Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Birthday season is upon us

Today, my oldest son turns 11 years old. This is so unreal to me. He is so cute and has planned his whole day. We will be busy for sure. Right after school, BB and Peanut have doctor appointments (ones which had to be rescheduled from December and November due to our family's personal battle with H1N1), followed by BB's first basketball practice since he got sick in November and finally, a birthday dinner at the restaurant of his choice: Wise Guys pizza. None of us have ever been there so it's going to be interesting.

I have been working with him over the past year to gain more independence with personal hygiene. Each of my kids, with the exception of Peanut, can now turn on their own showers and complete that task with minimal intervention from mom, other than the occasional, "I need a towel." He floored me this week when he has begun to comb his hair daily, even trying various arrangements using hairspray and water and even deciding he wants to grow a mullet. Does this mean the same thing to him as it does to me? I'm not sure. I'm picturing the full Billy Ray Cyrus "business in the front-party in the back" hair and I want to scream. However, I am realizing that the time has come for me to let go of that too. And I should be grateful he is taking such an interest.

Earlier this year, BB and I had so many bathing battles. The last straw, and it could be the event that *finally* drove the point home to him that he was being utterly ridiculous, was when he was refusing to get in the shower and it has been days, possibly weeks since his last shower and he smelled bad! I jokingly, but with a serious mission in mind, chased him up the stairs and into the bathroom (My days of throwing him up over my shoulder passed with the last birthday.). He then continued to refuse to get in. I turned the water on, stripped him with my own eyes closed and then told him he needed to wash or I would do it for him. He did not believe me and just stood as far away from the water as possible. So, I pulled the curtain back and stepped in with one foot. He immediately got himself under the water and shouted, "Fine, I can do it myself." Since that day, it still takes a lot of cajoling to get him up to the shower but he will inform me, "I can do it all by myself and I DO NOT need any help from you." Excellent.

THis week, with the hairstyling and the combing every day, he tells me that "I have decided that I should take a shower every other day. That means I should take my next shower on Tuesday."

This my friends, is ownership.

I'm holding my breath as it is Tuesday and the day is young. He does have basketball practice, so I do have that little leverage. My plan is to merely remind him that he said he would do this and then, oh this is so hard for me, let it go.

To me, this is one of the hardest parts of parenting. The ultimate objective, after teaching them about the love of Jesus and I have done my job in teaching them about being Christians, is to set them out into the world as capable, confident, hopefully well-groomed and hygienic adults. However, it is also a bittersweet task because as they meet each objective in achieving their independence, it reminds me that the years are passing quickly and my time with them in this little family bubble is also passing quickly. Before I know it, they will be off on their own. I wonder if this is why I tease them each birthday and tell them how I would like them to stay this age "just a while longer". I've enjoyed them at this age and the next year brings us another step closer to their independence.

I think if I do a good job with parenting, they will leave my home but will always know that I am close to them. Our relationship will change. Just like BB declared he would no longer call me "Mommy" but simply "Mom", it is how it must be.

A month ago, Peanut turned 7. In a few weeks, Princess will turn 13 and will conclude our season of birthdays, until May when PH and I celebrate ours.

No comments: