Friday, March 14, 2008

Another one bites the dust...

So, BB and I were driving around to my appointments. I had two shots and a medication delivery to make and then we could spend the rest of the day at home. But he was feeling "perky". He has since added that word to his vocabulary. I was enjoying the time with him. He was telling me jokes and we were car dancing and laughing a lot.

Then my cell phone rang. I read the caller ID. Uh oh.

"This is the school nurse. I have Princess here in the office with a low grade temp, complaints of a scratchy throat and an upset tummy."

My good mood evaporated like an ice cube on a sunny day. And BB's plans for "seeing the city and going to library while hanging out with Mom" also evaporated. He began to sulk.

I told the nurse it would be an hour and a half before I could get there because I really had to get these shots done and meds delivered. I could tell she wasn't happy about it but what else could I do? Mom-guilt was kicking in. But Nurse duty was taking precendence. Once my Nurse obligations were completed, I would be able to kick back into full Mom gear and take care of my daughter. Thank goodness for cell phones because I was able to drive and call to get her a throat culture for the afternoon.

By the time I picked her up, her temp has gone up to 101.3. She looked miserable. Poor thing. And her throat culture....Flaming Red Positive. Guess what I will be doing on Friday?

Another sick day. My stomach is in knots about it but there isn't anything I can do about it but roll with the punches. She is sick, she can't go to school. She needs her Mom. Mom duty will prevail over nurse duty. My co-workers will sort out my client's needs and deligate my tasks for Friday.

A few months ago, Fridays used to be my light day. But over the past month, Fridays have become one of my busiest days with back to back appointments. I am thinking I need to make some adjustments and spread some of that out a little more. Although being busy on Friday afternoon, does make the time go faster and I don't look at the clock as much, counting down the hours til "quittin' time".

I am moving in a few weeks, so this extra time at home is giving me the chance to do some "packing and purging" and with the boys gone today, I can attack their room with vicious attention! They will likely not notice anything missing. But the clutter ratio will decrease.

No comments: