Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Tornado

I have gotten a lot of questions about this so I figured maybe I ought to write about it. The tornado that tore up Hugo, MN on Memorial weekend was very, very close to me. I haven't driven to the site because it is still being blocked off for gawking rubber neckers, like me. But I did visit the Hugo city website and take a look at the map of the area hit. I found my street and realized that according to that map, I'm an inch away from the worst of the tornado's destruction. Or within a mile. I have gotten many phone calls from the school district and the elementary school because of being within the "impacted zone" of the school and telling me about resources available if I need them.

I am really thankful that we were not home during that storm. It was scary watching it from a computer while up north in Motley, MN and wondering what I would be coming home to. My townhouse did not have anything more than some cursory damage due to the hail. The little tree in my yard looks a little bare but it will bounce back, I'm sure. However, many townhouses around me suffered broken windows and severe hail damage.

BB has a classmate who lost his whole house. Princess has a classmate who knows the family that lost the 2 year old. I think even PH said that one of his classmates lost their house too. So, while we were not directly impacted, it is something that will be etched in our memories for a long time.

In fact, last night, the sirens went off. I raced to the computer to see if it was another tornado coming and Princess, unbeknownst to me, hid under the dining room table. During dinner, we discussed what we should do in the event of a tornado and we have a game plan. I think that is a good thing to have come out of it. My children also took some of their money that they were saving and brought it to the school for a donation to the Hugo families. I was really touched by that.

I am so sad for the families in my area that lost their homes or have severe damage. My heart breaks for the Prindle family who lost one child and have another in serious condition. I hold my children tighter because of that. I am also praising the Lord that we escaped the worst of it but I am acutely aware that it was by a mere hair. It is food for thought.

No comments: