Friday, March 9, 2007

The Newbie

My new supervisor told me that I should use my newbie status for as long as possible. I can say things like " I did not know that." whenever I need to. Could be convenient. Another strategy is the "look of confusion" when walking around the office areas. People are friendly and willing to help especially when they see "The Look".

I had three goals today. 1) Get the blinking light off my phone and program my voicemail. 2) Find the supply room. 3) Find the staff fridge. I accomplished two.

Goal 1) I got my phone to stop blinking. I was very excited. But then a while later, I came back to my office and it was blinking again. Oh NO!!!! But as it turns out, the message was for me! It was the IT guy calling me for another round of phone tag. He wants to help me solve my printer problem. One of the databases I need to have access to prints to some unknown location in the building. It would be nice to print the printer 4 cubes down. After 3 rounds of phone tag, we actually spoke on the phone and he set about to fix my nebulous printing problem.

Goal 2) Find the supply room. I found it but it took me about 15 minutes and many "Looks of confusion" before I found it. I was able to locate folders for my file drawer. But I didn't find a red folder for my To Do file. I read about that in an organization article. Put the things that need to be done in a red folder. I think it will work well for the things that I am in the process of working on but didn't finish or that need more time than I can apply at that time. Until I find a red folder, I will have to rely on the good ole yellow post-it notes.

When I worked in the state run facility, there was a running joke about the things the state would pay for. Post-it notes was not on the list of important items and they were hard to find. I can get post-it notes any time I want (if I find the supply room again) and I can use BLUE pens!! I'm so excited. The state job "frowns" on blue pens. But they are my favorite!

Goal 3) I could not find the staff fridge. I did find a fridge that is full of cans of pop to purchase. So, the venture was not a total wash.

No comments: