Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Tug-o-war Mom

Being a mom is tough. Being a single mom, very tough. I feel pulled in every direction possible. And then there is the guilt factor. Peanut said to me today, "I don't want you to go to work."

"But I have to, sweetie."

"Why?" he says.

"Well, if I don't go to work, then we don't have food to eat and pretty soon, no place to live."

Later on, Peanut says to me, "Mommy? Can I come to work with you?"

"No, honey, you can't."

Then in a very earnest, 4 year old way, he says, "But I'm ready. I have a purse. See?" And indeed, he had his little box of Kinex with the handles and his prized possessions tucked inside. And I thought to myself, "You are just too cute! I wish I could stay home with you all day too."

So, I am in the middle of a tug-o-war. I have to go, I want to stay.

If I could be a superhero and pick my super power. I would want the ability to split myself in two and be in two places at once. If I could not have that, then I would like to be like Elasti-girl on the Incredibles...she has so much flexibility. She can be in the livingroom, on the couch with the kids and just stretch her arm into the kitchen to stir dinner. Amazing.

1 comment:

beth said...

you are doing a great job, tonya! (just think...you can scrap at two tables at once!) ha ha