Friday, September 28, 2007

My other kids

I just read over some of my previous blog entries adn realized that I don't talk to much about my other 2 kids; Princess and Pumpkin Head. It could be that they don't do the outrageous things that Banana Boy and Peanut do. But I assure you, they are normal kids who get into trouble, drive me crazy or fill me with love overflowing. They are just more subtle or maybe a bit overshadowed by the difficult child and the youngest who is very cute, and knows it.

So, Princess is on the verge of adolesence, much to my chagrin and despite my denial. Most days, she is even tempered and sweet, although very much a "mini-mom" with a strong tendency to be bossy. However, she is more reliable than the others and tries very hard to do the right thing. And I have realized over the last few years, she is a slob and not very organized. Case in point, she has a loft that her Grandpa built however, when we moved to our house and I put it up, she realized that she didn't like how high it was and we had to dismantle the ceiling fan in order for her to use it. A week after putting it together, I took it back down. She then borrowed the bed frame that was for Banana Boy. Once BB moved into his room, his mattress was on the floor. this week, New York and I cut the legs down of the loft and I began to reassemble the loft.

What could have taken but a few hours, wound up taking most of the day. IT was a custom built loft and so the pieces did not all fit back together and I had to take it apart and flip things around. It was not the high point for me. There was much banging, some bad words and some statements like "Leave me alone...Get out of here..."

I realized from reading the Desperate Households book, that this type of activity is not something I do well sharing with company. Some people, like NY, can continue to work with kids flitting in and out, asking questions, offering to "help". This frustrates me and raises my blood pressure to a boiling point. Sadly, I recognized it when Pumpkin head came in to ask me something and I yelled harshly, "NOT NOW." and he burst into tears. So, I then called out, "Honey, it's not you...this bed is frustrating me and I am having a hard time concentrating." He then went out the door and announced to all in earshot, "Mommy is NOT in a good mood."

Ugh. And later NY commented on the considerable banging he heard. I told him it was a good thing he didn't hear the cursing out of my mouth.

But by 6:30 pm, the bed was put together. NY drilled some new holes for me so that the bolts could be put in place and the bed would not collapse. While I was moving things around in Princess's room, I began to clean. It was necessary because there was no way to get that bed in without rearraging her belongings...I found so much junk stuffed into corners and under dressers and in drawers. I had to complete the job. I filled one whole trash bag from her tiny room. Then I proceeded to organize her room. It looks nice now and she is pleased with it. But it is going to take a lot of work on her part to keep it organized and neat. However, she can't shove stuff under her bed because it is 3 feet off the ground and will be apparent to all.

I surveyed my work and realized that this little room of hers is just the sort of room I would have loved to have had when I was her age. IT's got cute stenciled flowers, a cool bed, little baskets and is just cute. I hope she likes it. I am going to do some things to help her remember where to put things and how to keep her room well organized. Organization is my strength. She did not get that gift. But I have also realized that I am not a naturally tidy person and she did get that from me.

Pumpkin-head is my sweet little first grader. Not perfect but sweet and adorable. He loves school. His teacher says he is so enthusiastic and is making friends quickly. He does seem to have my organization gene and also the untidy gene. He can sort drawers and shelves and likes to put things in order. He told me he loves to "Tidy Up" his desk everyday before leaving school. YOu wouldn't know it by his room but the potential is good, if I can teach him how to transfer the organization ability to neatness.

One of the things I love about him is how he just "vibrates" when he gets excited. It's hard to describe but he wiggles and jiggles when something captivates him. And then he will go off into a cute little animated description of what he did. But when he gets mad, this soft-spoken sweetie can get really loud and say some pretty mean things.

I am trying to get certain words out of my kids vocabulary, but it's so hard. Words like "You idiot", "F-RT", "Stupid"... I can hear a voice in my head saying, "Well, good luck with that." I can dreams and have goals. Don't know when they will be accomplished but they are there.

No comments: