Saturday, October 6, 2007

Just another average Saturday

This is the day I wait for all week. For one morning out of 7, I can actually catch a couple extra hours of sleep.

Or so I would like to think.

Peanut, who informed me today that he would now like to be called Olive, snuck into bed with me sometime during my coma and took over the bed. He's not even 4 feet tall but he can sprawl and he is stubborn too...I can't just gently roll him or push him over because he just springs right back like a boomerang. So, I lay on my sliver of the queen sized bed and try to drift off again.

CRASH!!! followed by lots of yelling. I try to ignore it. Then Banana Boy bursts through my door and says, "I'm hungry. When's breakfast?"

Do I dare to look at the clock? Perhaps it is later than I think.

It isn't. It's 7:30.

"Kids!! Let me sleep. I get one day, ONE day to rest a little more. Could you PLEASE, PLEASE, PPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEE, yes I am begging you, keep the noise and chaos down to a minimum for at least another hour???"

Except I think I only said that in my head. What actually came out verbally was something akin to the growl of a bear woken up early from hibernation, complete with with swatting at the air and a slam of the door.

Finally, I do wake up fully and they are happily watching a movie we rented last night. There is no big mess waiting...no bigger than what there was when I fell asleep at 9:30 last night. They were hungry but not obnoxiously bugging me for food. Whew.

So, I decided to make pancakes. I searched the cupboard only to realize that I did not have any Bisquick. So, my "quick" and fun breakfast was going to change. I had to find a recipe for pancakes. And I found that I actually have Buttermilk and ALL the ingredients for Buttermilk pancakes! Hooray! And it took longer to make than Bisquick pancakes but the effort was greeted with silence as 4 hungry mouths gobbled every pancake up.

The kids cleaned up their bedrooms. Princess did a really nice job. I will have to comment to her later when I get the chance. Pumpkin head did a nice job on his room too. I did the dishes with the help of Banana Boy. He offered so I figured I better take him up on it! The house is not spotless but it isn't bad. So, I felt I could go and spend some time scrapbooking while the kids headed out doors to enjoy a gorgeous day.

Because of all the rain we got over the last several days, our little creek is spilling out over it's banks. Next thing I know, Princess is asking me if they can put on their swimsuits and play in the creek. It's hard to resist...mud and water. The best playground in the universe. It has been an enjoyable afternoon with only a few skirmishes involving shared flotation devices/boats (aka the plastic peices of a play set they have all outgrown). My only instruction was that they come in through the laundry room and shed their wet muddy clothes by the washing machine and be willing to take a shower when asked to do so by mom.

We won't have many more days like this, so soak it up and relax. I guess it really isn't an average Saturday.

No comments: