Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Key to Happiness is New Shoes, When you are 6

My oldest two boys needed new shoes. Peanut got his a few weeks ago when his shoes could not be located. I suspect they are buried in the mud of the creek in our backyard. Banana Boy showed me his shoes the other day and he has air conditioning. He remembered tonight that he has had those shoes since Kindergarten. I started thinking back and realized he is probably pretty close. It might have been 1st grade but since he is in 3rd grade now, the point is that he has had those shoes for a long, long time. And I gleefully told him to "Throw them away!!!" when we got home from the store.

The shoe shopping experience with boys is very different than shoe shopping for girls. For one thing, boys have a much more limited selection and for my boys at least, they know what they like and they find it quickly. After measuring their feet and realizing that both boys have stretched their feet this past year, perhaps even since the summer, we found the aisle that had their sizes. BB found a pair he liked immediately and have no laces. Pumpkin-head found his pair instantly too. They have Batman on them. And when we got out to the car and he was admiring them in the box and holding them up for inspection and study, he discovered that they light up when stepped on. Major COOL factor for him! He was giddy with excitement adn couldn't wait to put them on when we got home.

It has been a VERY long day for me and going shopping was not really on my agenda but when I saw the sorry state of BB's shoes, and the realization the PH has been wearing borrowed shoes all week from the nurses office because one of his shoes has gone AWOl....it had to be done tonight. So, it is 8:30pm when we finally get home. The kids have homework to do and I promised them a snack. Peanut is so OVER-tired that he is being obnoxious. As I set about to get the snack, do the dishes, answer homework questions, read the mail, feed the cat and so forth, I head this thunderous pounding which on my wood floors just reverberated through out the kitchen. I looked around to see what all the ruckous was and saw that it was PH. He was running around the kitchen-diningroom-livingroom as fast as he could whiles stomping and looking backward to watch his shoes light up. It's a wonder that he didn't collide with anyone.

I really had to laugh, it was so cute! After a few more laps, I asked him to quiet down and get ready for bed. He then announced that he would take his shoes off for now but "I can't wait to wear them to school tomorrow! They are SO COOL!!" and they are now set neatly on the bottom step, waiting for his feet.

I love boys!

I remember when I was in 5th grade, and this will date me a bit, but these shoes called Kangaroos were all the rage. They had this really cool zipper pocket on the side. I begged my mom for a pair and she finally gave in. I remember putting them on, standing up and running down the block and I was sure that my new shoes had given me new powers to run faster and jump higher than I had ever been able to before. It was a great feeling.

So watching my son, racing around and enjoying his new powers brought back memories for me that were so sweet. Who knows, this may be a sweet memory for him one day!

No comments: