Monday, October 15, 2007

Sometimes There is a Reason for Getting Lost

Saturday was PERFECT!! Beautiful Fall day, perfect temperature for this time of year and we had the best activity planned. Our church sunday school class planned an afternoon/evening hayride party at a farm in Scandia. My kids had a great time riding a 4 wheeler, a Ranger and on a flatbed for a hayride. There was also a really cool swing that had all the kids in lines, politely (most of the time)working out turns and equal time. The grown-ups enjoyed conversation and some pretty intense full-contact touch football. I heard lots of happy chattering, cheering and laughter. Food was excellent and there was a nice toasty bonfire.

I had to practically drag my kids to the car in order to leave, even though it was pitch black and everyone else was leaving too. After pulling out of the driveway at the farm and out onto the road, I passed the turn I needed.

No problem, I figured. I would find another way out to the main road. I followed a windy road through the country, past farms backlit by the quickly retreating sunset, along a lakeshore and finally came out to a road that I figured was a main road, although not the one I wanted. I think I have a pretty good sense of direction. I figured I had been heading west, towards the sunset and so I turned onto the road, figuring I was now going to head south and then get back onto familiar ground. But I just kept driving and driving...the road was so dark and nothing looked remotely familiar, so I turned around and figured I would head back and retrace my steps. But I found myself unable to remember what road I had been on, even if the wrong one.

So, I started to pray and asked for calmness, patience and a way home. As I continued driving, I began to feel or sense I should turn this way... and then this way. Next thing I knew, I was back next to the farm we had been at and I was able to go out the RIGHT way and get back on track.

I was tempted to keep this to myself. I was embarrassed that I had gotten so lost as well as ashamed of my arrogance to think that I could find my way home in an area I had never been and to not turn around when it would have been easy to fix my mistake. But I realized I had an opportunity to share with my daughter (the only one awake)what had been an answer to my prayer.

So I told her that I had been praying that God would show me how to get us home and then here we were, back where we started and now we were back where we started adn could find the way home. And then I told her how glad I was that God heard our prayer, even the smallest of things like getting unlost.

Then she told me how she had been praying too, that God would show me how to get us home. I was so touched by that. And I think I needed to hear that and for that reason, I needed to be Lost.

No comments: