Thursday, July 10, 2008

What I am learning

1. It's hard to be the grown up. But it will always be worth it to be an example to my children.

2. I have had unexpected blessings from unexpected places at unexpected times.

3. Someone told me that I am their hero. I was moved and don't quite know how to handle that.

4. It is OK to stand your ground when you know it is right and it is for the best interest of your client. And when it is for the best interest of another person, that is more important than being right.

5. Sometimes, you have to use your credentials. That's why I got them. If I were a superhero, my credentials would be my cape...they identify me and put weight upon my opinion. "I am a Nurse...(better still)...I am a Bachelor degreed nurse and a public health nurse, (thank you very much)...now about my client who is decompensating and exhibiting signs of increasing psychosis and paranoia. It is not dehydration any longer. That has cleared up but he still refuses to drive his car because he believes his elderly parents are trying to kill him in order to cash out his life insurance policy. He may only tell you that he won't go to work because his legs hurt from standing but I see him every week, sometimes twice a week and this is not his baseline paranoia..." (*the triage nurse DID talk to the psychiatrist who then DID decide to increase one of his meds. I say Praise the LORD!!) And I tucked my cape back in and went back to work.

6. I am a good advocate for my clients. I am learning how to be a good advocate for myself.

7. It's OK to ask for help or to accept help when it is offered.

8. But sometimes, you have to face the music because it is part of becoming a grown-up.

9. I still have a lot of growing up to do, even at age 37.

10. Actions speak louder than words, but sometimes words and inaction can be really hurtful.

11. Trust that is broken has to be earned and it is hard.

12. Forgive myself.

13. A wise woman, also known to me as Mom, told me that I should focus on what I CAN do and not what I can't...I am taking that further and realizing that I need to look at what I have done, not what I haven't done and also to note the small steps I am making towards powerful change in my life.

14. Put a key Bible verse on a note card and use it as a bookmark. Recite it throughout the day and when I feel discouraged. More times than I can count, this has filled me with peace.

15. It's OK to cry. Crying gets the sad out. (Thank you Sesame Street and Jen!).

16. From a book by Mary Hunt (Debt-proof Living) "When you are living on the edge, the first thing to do is take a step back."

No comments: