Friday, February 6, 2009

Sequestered

The Flu has hit my family this week. Hard. No one is unscathed or untouched. I do think that since I had a flu shot, perhaps my bout is slightly, but only by the barest amount, less severe than my children. Princess and Peanut have been home from school since Monday. BB and PH were struck down by Wednesday. By Wednesday night, I too had a fever and chills and could not get warm enough. So, on Thursday, all 5 of us were crashed out in the living room.

I had to do some rearranging of bodies so that we could all fit. Me, being Mom and also the tallest, needed the couch. So, I moved BB, who was more fevered than his sister who had been home for 3 days, to the loveseat. I moved Princess to the chair with the footstool. PH got his fuzzy chair and had to share the footstool with Princess. Peanut could either share the little triangular space between my bent legs and the back of the couch or take a spot on the floor.

I tucked everyone in with their pillows, blankets, a water bottle and turned on Cartoon Network. It struck me that we looked like a very colorful, fuzzy M.A.S.H. unit. However, I doubt that in the Korean War they had the soft polar fleece blankets with cutesy snowmen nor were they entertained by Spongebob Squarepants and Scooby Doo.

And my medical unit was missing something. There was no one well enough to take care of us. I realized this as I heard the hoarse crying of Peanut from upstairs. I tried to ignore him because I was finally comfortable and enjoying a slightly delirious but pleasant dream. The crying continued and Princess then, in her own hoarse voice, “Mom, Peanut needs you.”

I stumbled off the couch, grabbing the walls and trying to steady myself as I went up the stairs. I figured he would tell me that he was out of toilet paper or some other silly non-critical issue that I could be mad about.

I was wrong.

Poor Peanut had tried to get himself to the toilet but the downstairs one was occupied so he psyched himself up to go upstairs even though “It’s scary.” But apparently, he did not succeed in getting his pants down in time. As I walked to the bathroom, he calls out, “Mommy, you need to clean up the floor.”

There is really very little that can make me gag. I have a strong stomach on most good days. Today was not a good day. I won’t be gross but it was not pleasant and I wound up putting my son into the tub and having to clean the floor, a rug, a towel, his pants and underwear and a washcloth by the time it was all said and done. And then I collapsed on my bed.

I had kind of hoped that Peanut would be able to go to school on Friday. However, he came to me with the thermometer in his hand and even as I touched his hand to take the thermometer, I knew he had a fever again. His eyes looked glassy again. I took his temp and it was 102.4. Looks like he will be home again. At least while they are all this sick, they don’t cause any trouble. They don’t fight with each other and they don’t argue with me. In that way, it’s kind of nice.

BB made me laugh when I felt his forehead and estimated his temp to be around 102.5 and I suggested to him that he take some Ibuprofen to lower his fever and make him more comfortable. He said, “Mom, I don’t want to do drugs.”

How am I to argue with that?

I did tell him that it was up to him but this was medicine, which is not the same as “drugs” and it would be for the purpose of helping him feel better. He still insisted that he would be OK. I’m not going to push him on it. He can make that decision. However, I have decided that if he starts to get delirious or his temp gets over 103, he gets medicine.

I hope that we all start feeling better soon. I think I am recovering. I have no fever. My rib muscles ache from coughing and I am tired. However, I felt just enough energy to do the dishes that I had neglected for several days and this morning, I picked up garbage around the living room. I may even vacuum. I think I should also wash everyone’s sheets, pillow cases and blankets when they start feeling better. The fact that I am thinking about these things implies a degree of improving health. Whether they get done in the near future is another story.

No comments: