Sunday, February 25, 2007

Snowstorm

This weekend was the first real serious snowstorm Minnesota has had this year...maybe even in a couple of years. It is also my last weekend to work on the weekend before I start my new job in 10 days (Monday-Friday...day hours...1 Saturday every 16 weeks). Wouldn't you know those two events would fall on the same weekend. No one ever said transitions would be easy.

I arrived at work to find that two staff were stuck on their 3rd shift, another stuck for a double. And for a short while, I was not only the freshest staff, but also the only licensed staff. Two of my other co-workers were either stuck in their driveways or stuck in a snow bank. I tried to make sense of how to divide the work of 7 people among 4 people and my head began to hurt. Looking back now, I remember that one of the best skills I was taught in school was to think critically. I had a big problem to solve. I began to think about the most basic needs that needed to be provided. I came up with two and I repeated them all day long--"Comfort and Safety". This helped me prioritize what needed to be done and what could be set aside. I also figured that my job, as the charge nurse, was to model being calm, cool and collected no matter what may come. And my attitude could make a difference in the perception of how things were going on our shift.

Halfway through the day, the two staff on triple shifts were able to go home. The night nurse was able to go home. And I had the director of nursing and my nurse manager working on the floor. Some of the staff were nervous to have these "big credentials" working on our unit, as if they would be criticized for what they were doing. I didn't see criticism. What I did see were people in high levels of authority get down in the trenches and do what needed to be done.

So many times, hospital policies come down to the unit staff and I hear grumbling and complaining, "If they only knew what it was really like...they would not ask us to do such and such." Today, they did see what it was like to do such and such. Maybe somethings will change. Maybe not. I wonder how the other staff I worked with today viewed it, other than feeling like they had to walk on eggshells and really make sure they were doing things correctly.

Even though these managers and directors have more seniority, experience and authority than me, they gave over some of their authority to me and continued to let me lead the unit the way I saw fit. Now that I sit here and think about it, it was a privilege and an honor. I may hear some constructive criticism in the days ahead but it is an opportunity for me to grow and do my job better. So, I am not dreading it but looking forward to the feedback.

When I left for work this morning, I thought my biggest challenge was going to be navigating the snow-covered streets, icy bridges and exit ramps. That turned out to be the least challenging part of my day.

No comments: