Thursday, June 12, 2008

Lego Party...My place...2:30am...Shhhhh

To say that my boys are Lego Fanatics is an understatement. They have compiled a wish list of items they would like to add to their growing collection of Legos. They want all the Indiana Jones sets, the Spongebob collection and the Starwars collection but they also like the castles with the knights and catapults.

I just shake my head because what it means for me is more pieces to step on in the middle of the night when I am walking down the stairs and at times I need a shovel to get to the couch because they insist that they must spread out all the legos in order to find the pieces they need. I don't disagree with them on that point. My bone of contention is that they don't then put them back in the box. Then there are the Lego battles over who has more "guys" and poor Peanut who never has the little Lego people to play with because his brothers need them all for their elaborate Storm trooper battles, only they don't have many actual storm troopers so other figures get recruited into battle, not unlike the real military!

I do love to watch them focus on what they are building and listen to their stories as they narrate the scenes they are building. Peanut likes to build airplanes with "Mote Controls" and then make them do stunts or crash into the couch. It is one of the things that makes Legos one of the best toys ever invented because it really does fuel the imagination and creativity abounds.

However, some times I would like there to be a little LESS creativity and imagination abounding. Or at least to have better hours.

Last night, BB and P-He4 tried to convince me that "building with legos helps us fall asleep". Right..and I was also born yesterday and just fell off the turnip truck. Try again...Turn out the light and go to sleep.

Every time I turned away from their view, they switched their light on and were back at it again, building and building. I quit counting how many times I turned off the light. I finally went to bed because I could not keep my eyes open another minute. I figured sleep would win eventually and I would find them in a heap on the floor with legos tightly grasped in each hand and the imprints of little round dots on their cheeks. I decided I could live with it. It's summer.

At some point during the night, I woke up because of an odd noise or a light going on in the bathroom. I looked at the clock and saw that it was 2:57...AM!!!
BOYS! It is too late to be up playing with legos. Get in bed and go to sleep.

I clumsily stumbled back to bed. My alarm blared at 5:30. I ignored it until I couldn't any longer. When it was time to wake up my kids and get them ready to leave for the babysitter, I noticed that there was one boy missing. I went down stairs and found him sprawled on the couch. On the dining room table, he had opened two large cans of peaches. But what I could not figure out was why there were 3 spoons?

When I woke up P-He4, I said to him, "I bet you are really tired after your late night Lego Party."

He answered, "It wasn't a party."

I love the concrete thinking of children. But I beg to differ. It was a party. There was more than one in attendance. They had entertainment. And they had food. And they did it behind their mother's back. Sounds like a party to me. A very benign party. And a kind of party I can live with.

But I will tell you...there are some very tired boys at my house today!

No comments: