Monday, November 26, 2007

Random Thoughts

#1 Aliens Abducted my Children but I think I like it
I have begun to prepare my school children for my impending arrival from work by giving them a warning call and telling them of my expectations:
1)lunch box on the counter,
2)shoes in the laundry room
3)backpacks and coats hanging in the laundry room.

It makes me less stressed and they are less "surprised" when I come home to find those things have not done or why I would be angry because they aren't. And I don't even have to raise my voice. I can say, "I believe I talked to you each on the phone and you agreed..." which is usually followed by a scrambling of feet. If it were a cartoon, I believe their feet would be represented as wheels and there would be a cloud of dust behind them.

Today, I came home and an unfamiliar odor was wafting through the house as I opened the door. I was intrigued. It was not unpleasant. It did not smell dangerous, like the sulfur of burnt matches or burnt toast. It smelled like "clean". Then I looked around and BB was dusting. PH was sweeping and Princess was using the Wet Jet on the tile floor on the landing.

I quickly stepped outside to check the numbers on the house to make sure I was in the right place. The numbers matched my checkbook. The kids looked familiar.

"Ok. Who are you? What have you done with MY children and...how long are you staying?"

_________________________________________________________
#2 Boy Babies
Peanut has been cracking me up this week. He is pretty funny most of the time anyway but lately, he has been especially funny.

He has made some bold declarations:

1)Boys when they grow up will have Boy Babies and Girls will have girl Babies
2)When he grows up he will have a boy baby that he will name after himself
3)And Kassiday WILL NOT be the mom
4)He will marry mommy. He asked me this weekend. three times.

I shared #3 with his daycare provider this morning and she shed some light onto where this was coming from. Kassiday had some declarations of her own.

1)When she grows up, she is going to marry my Peanut
2)And he will be the Daddy of all her babies

I laughed so hard!

A friend of mine at work has a 5 year old daughter who is in Kindergarten and she has a little boy who is in love with her and he has gone so far as to actually proprose to her daughter, even bringing her a ring. (it's plastic with a huge pink rock and peeling "gold" band). My friend asked her daughter what she said when he declared his feelings for her and she replied, "Well, I said 'Thank you'." And then she said that she would keep this treasure in her school box.

Who needs to watch reality TV?

_____________________________________________________________
#3 I have coined a new phrase and would like to declare it here
I was dropping Peanut off at Sunday School. Up til now, he was fine going in, even jubilantly. But this week, he burst into tears, pulled on my leg and was inconsolable. I even tried to point out his friends including the twins, one of whom is a cute girl he always waves to across the sanctuary...nothing worked.

His teacher, Lord Bless her, took him by the hand and said "He'll be fine." I know this would be the case. I have done this with all 4 children. It just surprised me.

I smiled at her and said, "Thank you. I know. It's just a little Mama Drama".

I like that! I think it's catchy.

No comments: