Friday, November 30, 2007

Spelling

My little first grader, Pumpkin Head, is reading and spelling. He is quite tickled by this fact. Up until now, he has said he was just "practicing" but the other night we were at church having supper before Wednesday night clubs and BB offered to read a prayer off the table tent. After BB was done, I said to PH, "Next week, you can read the prayer."

"Oh Mommy, I can't read yet."

"You can't? What have you been doing in school all this time?" And then I had him read one of the prayers. He only stumbled on a few words but was able to sound out the rest just fine. After he finished and I said, "Honey, that was real nice reading.", he just about glowed like light on a Christmas tree.

Well, now that the connection has been made that he can read, he has realized that he can SPELL. Most of the time.

But I overheard him say to Peanut, "Peanut, I told you not to do that...Do you hear me...I said O-N."

I about fell off my chair. He was so sincere.

No comments: