Sunday, November 11, 2007

Wild Creatures in My Home

They are boys. Or as I heard someone else refer to her sons, and I have now adopted the phrase into my vocab, "the Boy-barians". They are wild, rowdy,mischievous, NOISY and just plain exhausting at times.

One would think that that by this time of night, they would be winding down and getting ready for sleep. Far from it!! No matter how much I have pleaded tonight, they continue their wild tyrade and can hardly hear myself think.

I love them but sometimes, they drive me crazy. Tonight would be one of those nights. It doesn't help that I have a full-blown, 10 on the Rickter scale, F-5 Migraine. I recognize that my tolerance of noise is far lower than my usual threshold.

In some ways, I am happy that the 3 of them are playing well together and enjoying each other's company. And for the time being, nobody is fighting, calling someone "idiot" or otherwise. Just a sidenote, "idiot" is not a word I condone in any sense but they have adopted it as a way to get under the skin of another and my job is now to monitor what words fly out of their mouth and to say, many times, "Do not call anyone an idiot."

I am counting down the minutes until I can put the wild creatures to bed. I hope they settle down but I won't hold my breath. 15 minutes and counting...

I am annoyed that I still have this headache. I have been having a lot of them in the last 6 months. In fact, I just saw my neurologist on Friday and I am going to start taking a daily migraine preventer. I have medicine that I can take when I feel a migraine starting, but I am out and so I called in a refill. When I went to pick it up, the pharmacist told me that my insurance company says it is too soon to refill it. I have to wait until November 13. It isn't her fault but I said to her, "But I have a headache today." She is just doing her job and she did say that she feels like pharmacies get caught in the middle. She suggested I find a "triptan" on my insuarance formulary that doesn't have such strict rules. Again, it does me no good for my pain today. I declined to pay full price for 1 pill and decided I would just have to ride it out. And I will be calling my insurance company on Monday.

As a nurse, I don't recommend doing this but I took a prescription that my doctor has discontinued. It was at my request because it gives me horrible heartburn and puts me completely in La-La land and it does not work very quickly. But it was all I had that I knew would eventually take care of the problem. However, it has been 7 1/2 hours since I took the first dose, 5 hours since I took a second dose and my head is still pounding and I feel like a wet noodle. It's not good.

But, 8 minutes til bedtime. The natives are still restless but have begun to get a little quieter. So, hopefully, this is a good sign. I'm praying it is.

The sweet thing from this however, was when my daughter prayed at supper and asked God to make mommy's headache go away so that mommy would feel better. She is such a tender-heart and caring girl. I was proud and humbled at that moment.

No comments: