Thursday, May 8, 2008

Prenatal Classes Feline style

So, Tiger, whom I have declared to be my feline version of Jamie Lynn Spears because she is a young cat, not quite a year old...so kind of a kitty teenager, is getting quite round. I am watching her with great interest to see if she will start to waddle the way pregnant women do when they start drawing closer to delivery day. She is not waddling yet. She still jumps up on things and perches on the window ledges to watch the birds and other things that catch her interest. But otherwise, she seems to sleep a lot more, eat a lot more and use the litter box a lot more. Not so different from a human.

Tonight, Princess found a little stuffed cat that meows when you squeeze it. So, she was showing it to Tiger. Tiger was interested in it for a while and was chomping on it and rolling around with it but then began to pick it up with her mouth. Princess kind of squealed and said, "Tiger, don't carry it in your mouth!"

A teachable moment, "Darling, that is how Mommy cats carry their babies. They pick them up by the back of the neck and carry them in their mouths until they are big enough to follow her."

"I know THAT...but Mom, she is carrying the kitten by the leg!"

Ohhhh. I hope that instincts kick in by the time the kittens are born and Tiger does not really carry her babies around by the foot. I don't think I can model the kitten carry for her. My kids would get a kick out of it though...to see me trying to carry a baby kitten in my mouth while showing Tiger how it is done.

I had a dream where Princess told me that Tiger had given birth to 5 kittens on my bathroom floor. I woke up in a cold sweat.

No comments: