Thursday, May 29, 2008

When you have to explain it, it isn't as funny

What a difference two years can make in the sense of humor of my two oldest boys. BB is also quite advanced in vocabulary and comprehension so I would say he is not typical of a 9 year old. He asked me if I knew what an Antelope was. I said it was a kind of deer. Then he asked me what an E-lope was. I was puzzled at first.

There is no such thing as an E-lope. There are no animals called that. But the word elope means to run away. Some people elope when they sneak off to get married.

"Oh. OK. Have you ever seen an Ant elope?"

I'm beginning to understand why he is asking. Nope.

"Have you ever seen a cat litter?"

"Have you ever seen a horse fly?"

At this point, PH chimes in, "I have! And then it bit me!"

This results in peals of laughter and BB tries to explain, "You have seen a HORSE fly?"

"Yes. It bit me and it really hurt," says PH.

"Nooooooooo... Have you ever seen a HORSE....FLY?"

Poor PH, this has gone over his head so I tell Princess and BB that this kind of joke requires a different kind of thinking that PH has not developed yet in his brain and no amount of trying to explain it to him is going to make him understand the joke. Its that literal versus abstract thinking. I got a good chuckle out of it.

And then we made other drivers on the road chuckle when I cranked up the radio and declared that it was now "Mini-van Dance Party" while we jammed to an old Donna Summer disco song. It was a very pleasant drive.

No comments: