Monday, November 24, 2008

I’m having One Of Those Days.

My kids have the week off and the babysitter is coming to my house. In a flurry of excitement over not having to get up at 5:30am, I set my alarm for 6:30am last night (Truth be told that I seldom actually GET UP at 5:30…but I make the attempt every day). However, I apparently neglected to turn on my alarm and woke up mere minutes before the sitter arrived.

So, no shower…a quick up-do of the hair and brushing of teeth. I was ready in less than 15 minutes. I realized on my way to work, that the best time to do the middle school conferences was going to be NOW on the way to work rather than later on the way home from work. So, I called and left my boss a voicemail to tell her I would be late.

When I got to work, I remembered that it is Monday which means that it is also Jury Duty day at the county building and I can’t park in my usual parking lot and must park over in Timbuktu aka Law Enforcement Center lot. While putting away my car keys, I was digging for my work badge and realized that I did not have it. RATS!

This means a LONG walk around the building because I can’t use the employee entrance because I don’t have my magnetic badge. I thought I was saved for a minute when someone from my office came alongside me but apparently she walks faster than me or she was not trying to maneuver uneven sidewalk in 2 inch heeled boots and the door shut before I got there.

It was a chilly, rocky walk around the building. And the receptionists teased me and asked me to bribe them with chocolate before buzzing me into my office area. So, instead of being a mere 45 minutes late, I was an hour late.

Fortunately, I had an appointment in Forest Lake and was able to drive past my house and pick up my badge so that I would not have to stuff my pockets with chocolate or race someone to the door in order to get back in the building.

My luck ran out there because after heading back to my office, I picked up lunch and also some medications for a client. While trying to carry my drink, my purse, 4 bags of meds and my food bag, I got a very big paper cut on my finger and started to bleed all over one of the bags of medicine. And I still had a LONG walk to my office…slightly shorter because I could use the employee entrance.

When I sat down at my desk to eat my hasty lunch, I was dismayed because I found my baked potato to be very disappointing. It’s just one of those days.

No comments: