Monday, November 17, 2008

Living with ADHD

Life with an ADHD kid is a challenge for even the most organizationally gifted of mothers. I would never put myself in that category, mind you. I would say that I have some organization skills and a lot of creativity. (Tidiness would NOT be one of them but I am working on it).

The child with ADHD constantly loses things. And often times, he loses the same things several times a day. It is interesting to note that sometimes he will remember leaving it in one place but does not remember that he moved it nor does he remember the new location. It is very frustrating.

This past week, his winter coat went AWOL. It was last seen on his person by Grandma on his way to school. We think. But it was a crazy week because I was at the hospital with his brother and then the temperature got warmer and he did not need it, so I did not worry about it until the temperature dropped again.

At that point, I had to put out an APB on his grey coat, size 10 with the orange, down-filled lining. I searched every place in the house. Every closet. Every nook, cranny, crevice, and cubby. I checked the obvious and the un-obvious. One never knows with the ADHD boy where that coat will land because his attention gets diverted by shiny objects or other things of interest. This would be why I find one shoe on each floor and various items of clothing tossed through out the house. It isn’t merely laziness. It is just the way his brain works. Things drop where he stops.

The APB on the coat extended to school and I enlisted the help of his 4th grade teacher, the lunch room para’s and the ladies who work in the office and the school nurse. It is possible that his classmates may have been helping him search through the lost and found and the coat room after recess. To no avail. I also called Grandpa who reported seeing it with Grandma in the car but then reported no longer seeing it in the car. Grandma stated that she distinctly remembered putting it upon BB’s body and sending him off to school. That was the last time it was seen.

11 days ago.

I was frustrated and bit back the tears. I really did not want to have to buy another winter coat. I had rejoiced in the knowledge that every one, including my daughter (thanks to a co-worker of my sister), had a really nice, warm coat and my only expenditure was going to be for winter boots for my daughter and older two boys. Peanut, being the youngest, will have the luxury of many choices in winter foot wear this year.

Day 12. While in the coatroom at church, I reached for Peanut’s coat and noticed on the rack, a familiar grey and orange coat. My heart rejoiced and I called BB over and wrapped him up in the warmth of his coat. He was significantly less enthusiastic than I was. To him, it’s “just a coat”. To me, it’s the symbol of something greater. It’s a blessing. The AWOL coat has returned home.

My kids would think I was really silly if I killed the fatted calf over a coat. But that is how I felt. I was ready to dance, shout and sing.

Blessings don’t have to be big to be significant. And miracles don’t have to be magical to miraculous. We just have to notice them for what they are and thank the Lord for them when they come. And if we feel like doing a happy dance in the kitchen while making Shepherd’s pie, so be it.

No comments: