Monday, January 12, 2009

Reflections on the Weekend

I could deny it no longer. The boys look like they have hair growing out of their ears, Princess must have a set of beautiful blue eyes under those bangs...but my wallet and tight budget as well as 2 kids with birthdays, cannot support $60 for hair cuts. So, I had to pull out my clippers and scissors. I will admit that I am a bit rusty.

OK...OK...Very rusty.

I'm actually very embarrassed for PH. He suffered the worst at my inept attempt with the clippers. However, I will not solely carry the blame. He is very impatient and very wiggly. He also has the thickest head of hair. Its fabulous and I love it but it is a brute to cut nicely. Not like my two toe-heads. I had to cut his hair twice, it was so bad. I managed to somewhat salvage it but there are still some patches where I got a little too close. I could pretend that he got in to the clippers or that his brother did. But that is not a good example is it? Maybe I should be the one to put the paper bag over my head for the next few weeks until it grows out a bit.

I look at his cute little face with his Jack-o-lantern grin and then I see the almost-bald patches and I start to chant to myself, "It's only hair...it will grow back...It's only hair...It will grow back..."

Peanut's hair was not cooperating too much either but he was completely OK with me just buzzing his whole head. He looks so darn cute when it's that short anyway. When BB looked at Peanut, and I was struggling with two miserable attempts at boy haircuts, I offered to buzz it and BB said, "I do not want to look like Peanut!"

I had to try and not make the same mistakes. Apparently, by the third haircut, I had made significant improvements because BB's hair looks really good, for an amateur.

Princess let me cut her bangs and yes, she has eyes!! But my sister and I were playing with her hair and discussing it. My sister, Desert Bloom, pointed out that Princess's hair is very much like her hair, thin and easily splits but great in quantity! And Princess also has the two cowlicks that Desert Bloom has too. Poor thing. When Princess was a baby and had very little hair, her hair all went forward and no amount of coaxing my part could make it look feminine, not to mention, it was very straight. Even if I put a bow on her head, she looked boyish. At least when her hair is long, it pulls the cowlicks down.

But my sister and I sighed together as we looked at Princess's hair and I looked at how much her hair was breaking and how badly it tangles all the time. I realized that it has to be cut. There is just no other way. Princess was sad to hear it but it is not the first time we have cut her hair short due to split ends. Her only comment to me, "Mom, just try to cut it straight this time."

It's like she knows me or something.

Smarty-pants.

I cut off about 5 inches. It was a battle to get her hair to lay nice because of those cowlicks. I have a friend who is a beautician and she gave me a couple of pointers for cutting Princess's hair. She told me to never cut it wet but always cut it dry. So, I think I managed OK. It looks so cute when it's short.

Princess said to me later, "Mom, maybe now that my hair is short, we can curl it with the curling iron."

I have been waiting for this day. Is it wrong to be thankful for split ends? Let's just keep that between us.

No comments: