Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thursday

I feel like today was a waste of a very good hair day. Doesn't that sound girly? And maybe a little bit vain. It's true though. I don't know what I did differently today but somehow, my hair just fell into all the right places, had the right amount of lift and movement and just looked good.

It feels like a waste because halfway through my work day, I got the Dreaded Call from the nurses office. BB threw up and was now in her office and she needed me to come get him.

Sometimes, I am embarrassed to say, I do not say the right thing.

Are you sure he is sick? I mean he could just be very tired. He was up kind of late, goofing around on the video games.

Thankfully, the nurse and I have gotten to know each other quite well and I don't think my stupid question insulted either her, her assessment or position as Keeper of All Healthy Things in the Elementary School.

Did you take his temperature? Maybe if he doesn't have a fever, he can just stick it out.

As the Mom, RN, there are days when I am positively brilliant. (please note the sarcasm and tone I take with myself.) However, I was in a dilemma. I was at work, in the middle of a training on how to use my tablet. And my usual Go-To guy, Grandpa, is in the hospital recovering from surgery. My Mom is busy taking care of him and my sisters are also back at work. What am I to do? I also have two client appointments to do. It's not so easy to just drop everything and run off to pick up a sick child from school... a child I suspect is not really sick.

Shame on me. Maybe he really is. It isn't like him to pretend to be sick. And he did throw up. Even if he doesn't have a fever, he can't stay in school or take up the bed in the nurses office. I do give the nurse a lot of credit. She is very patient and accommodating. I have worked with several different school nurses and I know that there are a few who would demand that I get there at "half past an hour ago" or sooner and wouldn't care about my issues.

I told her that I had to finish this training and then I would come. I called my supervisor and let her know what was going on. I also talked to one of the case managers about her client that was one of my appointments. I also said I could do a little bit of my paperwork from home.

After picking up my son, who did look a little peeked, I pulled out my tablet and started doing some of my work. I had been at work no more than 10 minutes when I get a phone call from the nurse. Now PH was in her office with the same complaints. However, he is unable to vomit due to his surgery. So, I get back in my car and drive back to the school, while calling my supervisor.

They're dropping like flies...

So, it looks like I will be home with 2 sick boys. They are not lethargic but they are crabby. I would be happier with lethargy.

This is one of my biggest struggles with being a single parent. There are many difficulties. Parenting children is, in my book, intended to be a two person job. When it falls on only one parent, the burden more than just doubles. I don't know how else to explain it. I think it is like a team of oxen. One ox can pull a large weight alone, but a team of oxen because they are yoked together and work as a team can pull 3-4 times the weight that one ox can. The single parent is like that one ox trying to pull the weight of a team.

What is a single parent supposed to do when her children are sick? I only accrue so much sick leave and vacation. Yet, my job has responsibilities as well that while they can sometimes be shifted to others temporarily, it is not good to have to always shift them. I am fortunate in that I have a job that is extremely flexible and I have relationships built with my clients that they will allow me some latitude in moving appointments around. A day like today, I feel torn apart. My children need me, work needs me.

And now I feel the headache and the stomach ache coming on. I am probably getting sick too. There is no one here to take care of me. It could be a long, long weekend.

No comments: