Monday, January 5, 2009

Resolutions…

I don’t know if I really like making resolutions. But I do like turning the page on the calendar and feeling like I have a chance to start fresh. Instead of making resolutions, which seem to be made on January 1 and fall apart by January 10, I have been thinking about things I would like to work on or do differently this year.

I have been listening to some people on the radio talk about how to set goals that are more likely to be achieved. The first is to be Realistic. The second is to be Specific. This did get me thinking and I changed my stance on “My Resolution is to make no resolutions.”

**I will increase my level of healthiness by incorporating more veggies and fruit and less processed food into my diet. It means more cooking from scratch and more planning ahead. But that is not such a bad thing.


**I will increase my level of healthiness by getting more exercise and doing more active things with my kids. I take the stairs whenever possible, walk across the far end of the parking lot and run up and down the stairs at home, rather than making one of the kids fetch things for me. And I will use my pedometer. In the spring, I will take walks in the evening with the kids or bike rides.


**I will become more financially confident by being more mindful of my finances and applying the things I am learning about giving, saving and spending and setting a realistic budget. I have already started some very good behaviors like using cash for certain expenses like my daycare, gas and groceries. It keeps me in check.


**I will tithe regularly and have set my goal that I plan to achieve by the end of the year, with incremental increases planned through the year until I get there.


**I will save regularly following the same plan as my tithing.


**I will learn to relax about relationships and enjoy the friendships I have and try not to worry about whether or not I will find love and romance. I will quit mentally fighting my family’s “man-atorium” and accept that they are trying to protect me and help me heal and learn from my mistakes.


**I will continue to attend Bible study as it is offered at church and find a suitable guide to study on my own so that I can continue to grow spiritually.


**I will add devotions to our evening dinner routine.

I think that is a good list. I have covered spirituality, health, relationships and finances. I don’t think there is anything on that list that is not unreasonable or unrealistic. And since I have this down on paper, it will be interesting to see at the end of the year just how I did.

No comments: