Sunday, March 15, 2009

An Object Lesson

BB has issues with impulsivity. And at the present time, his impulsiveness is very high and his cooperation is very low. It's not a good mix. But I am on to him and he is not good at hiding things from me. We stopped at a gas station while on our way to Walmart. I was feeling sick and needed the restroom. The boys said they needed to go as well. Unfortunately, boys are very often quicker than girls. This in itself puts me on high alert. They were acting very suspicious in the car so I asked them to empty their pockets and sure enough, they had taken 3 packs of gum. Caleb refused to come and I did not think in that moment, it was going to be best to drag him in kicking and screaming because he was not teachable. But I did get PH to come with me, reluctantly. He was very embarrassed and I was glad because I wanted him to be embarrassed.

While we drove to the gas station, the boys had been talking about buying a gas station when they are 30. BB will be in the office because he is the manager. PH will be the cashier and custodian. It was fun listening to them make their plans.

After driving off from the gas station, still fuming about the gum and resorting to what would amount to a pointless lecture, it struck me that I had an object lesson on hand.So, I talked to BB about his gas station and what it would mean if he was the owner and someone stole a pack of gum from him.

"Well, I would be really mad and I would call the cops."

Really? You would call the cops every time a pack of gum was missing? Would you notice?

"Well, I would have cameras up. I would know."

Do you think the gas station we were in had cameras?

"I looked. There weren't cameras. No one saw us."

Does that make it right? To take something that you did not pay for because no one saw you?

"Well, no."

OK, suppose that when you own a gas station, you notice that everyday 5 people each steal a pack of gum. Each pack of gum costs $1. How much is that a day?"

"$5."

"Right. How much would that be a week?"

"$35."

Hmmm. That is starting to sound like a lot more money. How much is it if that happens every day for a month?"

"$140."

So, BB, why would someone want to own a gas station?

"I don't know. I think it would be cool. I like gas stations. They have lots of things that people buy."

That's true. Usually, people buy a business because they think it will make money and it is their source of income. If you are losing $140 a month just because people are stealing $5 a day, that is money you are expecting to have go into your pocket to pay your bills and expenses but now you don't have it.

"Ohhh."

Light bulb moment.

What is even funnier or more profound was how this morning, when he was in the shower he says, "Mom, how much is 140 times 12?"

Little does he know that I don't do math in my head real well. I need paper or a calculator.

1680. Why?

"I was trying to figure out how much money it would cost for a year. you know, like we talked yesterday."

The boy is still thinking about this. Something connected. It amazed me that he has been thinking about this over night and that he still remembers the number we came up with yesterday afternoon. Not only is he thinking about the cost of stealing but he is also learning some practical application for math.



No comments: