Monday, April 14, 2008

The $200 Oil Change

For the past few months, my oil light has been going on and I have been adding a quart of oil and then just continuing on. Today, I figured I really ought to get an oil change and then I found a coupon that came in the mail in which I could get $15 off an oil change and I figured if I stood my ground and would not be swayed to all of their gimmicks of "you need this and this and this" then I would spend only about $10.

HA!

First these girls tell me that I have a leak in my engine block...that would explain why my oil light has been going on so often when it has not ever done this before, so I was persuaded to upgrade to the oil that would fill in and stop up the leaks. I sort of knew that I had been hooked a little there but I was ok because I wasn't blind. They did show me the air filter and it was black, so it did need to be changed. I really have not been good about keeping up on these little maintenance things.

The shock came when they told me that not only was my serpentine belt cracking, which I was aware of but didn't have the money to fix back in February when it came to my attention, but there were chunks of rubber missing and this meant that it could go at any time and I would be stranded.

So, I said they could replace the belt. Except it turns out that my mini-van has 2 serpentine belts at $90 a pop. Ouch. Even with the coupon the shop manager handed me, to have me hand back, and get another $30 off... To make things even worse, the shop didn't have the right belt for my van so someone had to run to the auto parts store and get the right belt. "It will take 20 minutes tops, when she gets back." Famous last words.

Two and half hours later...

In order for the mechanic to get at the second belt, he needed to get around the alternator. However, the alternator has never been changed so it was tight. He had to use every tool he had. I did have to laugh when he said, "I'll be right back. I'm going to find the rubber mallet. But don't worry, I'm not going to break anything." Once he got the alternator out, then this tension bolt broke and it turns out that no auto part stores carry these bolts and the Ford dealership in town is out of business, not to mention it is now way past 7 pm. So, now there are two mechanics working on my car, trying to get this belt on and put some sort of temporary tie down in until they can either order a part or go to a junk yard and find a part.

I really was not mad about how long it took. I was getting cold and Peanut was getting restless but overall, he was just plain cute and kind of fun to hang out with. I was a little worried about my other children who were waiting at home. I finally got a hold of them and there was a little fear in their voice but they relaxed when I explained what happened and that I would be bringing Taco John's (particularly Potato Ole's) home.

But my heart did skip a beat when they brought me my bill. So much for the $10 oil change. However, the belts did need to be changed. I saw them myself and they were really, really bad. So, for the sake of safety, I am glad but my checkbook is still wincing in pain.

No comments: