Friday, April 25, 2008

Tween Drama

I think that my family is all going through an awkward transition right now. I am having a hard time dealing with the facts that my youngest baby is going to go to Kindergarten. He will never be completely "mine" again. The tug-o-war between school and home will begin. It's normal. It's life. But it is hard to let go. It sounds so cliche but it is absolutely true that he was just a baby yesterday and then I blinked and he is now 5 years old.

And my daughter is 11 and beginning to go through changes that show me that adolescence is much closer to us then I would like it to be. Take last night for example. BB put his foot in his mouth. It's nothing new. He does it a lot. It's a battle he is always going to fight..."Foot in mouth" disease(I think it's hereditary. I seem to suffer from the same disease). He said to all of us at dinner, "I liked Princess better before she was a teenager."

You can imagine the next event. Princess buried her head in her elbow and began to sob.

BB, that was very unkind and hurtful. I don't think you meant it to come out like that. You need to apologize to your sister.

Then I turned to Princess,
Sweetie, I like you just the way you are and I know it's hard to be growing up. I think maybe BB is a little jealous because there are things you will get to do that he won't get to do for a while yet... I'm sorry that he hurt your feelings.

She looked up at me, tears in her eyes, "He didn't hurt my feelings by what he said. I just feel like my life is going by so fast."

Me too, honey, me too.

No comments: