Friday, April 11, 2008

What I have learned this week

I talked to a friend today whose family is facing the death of a loved one, her father-in-law and the grandfather of her children. My heart is breaking for them because it is hard to be in the waiting time and I know from experience, it is difficult knowing just exactly how to talk to your kids about death. But what I know of my friends, I know that they are handling things well and in a very eternally-minded manner.

What amazed me was her loving spirit. I called her to offer to her my support of her and her family and to offer to her anything she and her family might need and instead she ministered to me and told me how much she has been thinking of me and what I am going through this week. She told me that she was not sure if she should even burden me with her circumstances, in light of mine. I found that rather ironic and also very humble on her part. She could not believe that I would even offer anything to her in light of my situation. What I told her is that sometimes, even when a person is going through a hard time, there is nothing better than to serve others.

After I described my situation with my ex-fiance and the mess with the rental house, the clean-up and his threats against me to sue me and so forth, she said that she has been wondering why I have had to go through so many things that seem to have a similar theme. I have gone through a series of difficult relationships. One of which was an abusive marriage, both spousal abuse as well as the sexual abuse of one of my children at the hands of my husband. And here I am going through another abusive relationship. She told me that maybe I'm being tested like Job.


It's an interesting thought. I hadn't considered it. I hope that I would be found to have the same faith as Job and would continue to praise the Lord should I lose my health, my family and everything I owned. I just figured I was not very careful or cautious or perhaps so desperate to be in a relationship that I didn't see the warnings until it was too late. The good news for me, is that I can be taught! Because I did eventually see the signs for what they were and I did end things. The break up was worse (almost) than any I have experienced before. It's been down right ugly as well as painful. Maybe there is a test element to it. Regardless, I believe there is a purpose and a plan. And God will use this circumstance for His Glory.



What I have learned:

1. Don't rush into any relationship.

2. Internet dating is not for me.

3. Let God do the leading.

4. Money and dating should never, ever mix.

5. Trust the instincts of my family...they have good insight and often see things before I do.

6. Pay attention to warning signs.

7. Pray, pray, pray.

8. Good things are worth waiting for.

9. If I am to marry again, the Lord will bring us together.

10. My Mom and my Grandmother are really, really wise women. I need to listen to them far more carefully then I do.

11. I have been incredibly blessed by beautiful sisters, incredible parents and other supportive family and I have really awesome friends.

12. God takes care of me in so many ways and continues to shower me with more blessings than I feel I deserve. But I am grateful.

13. I love my Lord more and more every day.

14. I love to sing and worship the Lord while driving to work and sometimes that is the best times I have to pray and spend time with my Father.

No comments: