Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Can we have some manners, Please??

I find myself on the short end of the "Irritation stick" today. It's been a long day. I had all these little errands to run after work which encroaches upon the precious few hours of evening I get with the kids. But they had to be done. The garage called to tell me that they had the part to finish the repair on my car from yesterday. Important to get that fixed today. It took 30 minutes, most of it was waiting. Then I had to run home and get my taxes to mail because I forgot to bring it with me and mail it this morning. Also, mucho importante. That took another 10 minutes.

Then when I walk in the door, I look around and my kids are laying about on the couch watching cartoons. It looks like a tornado blew through or perhaps it was the gale force winds from outdoors...if they had opened every window, the front door and the garage door for several minutes. And today was not a good day to come home to this mess. There were banana peels every where but in the garbage; on the end table (breaking the "No food in the living room" rule), on the dining room table (breaking the "clean up after you eat" rule), on top of the garbage can (come on!!! It's right there! Throw it in for Pete's sake!), and then on top of the fridge (that one sent me over the edge...it was just too much to handle).

Mean Mommy leaped out of her shell: You will go around and pick up every piece of trash you see and you WILL put it in the trash can. You will pick up all the toys and put them away. I have only a few hours with you in the evening to spend with you and to relax and I would rather spend them happy instead of ANGRY...I'll be in my room for a few minutes and I expect this done when I come down to start supper.

Then I begin to wash dishes and start dinner. One little angel says, "What are we having?"

"Cheeseburger Macaroni"

"I hate that..."

Mean Mommy is out again: Sit down and eat the food in front of you and NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE will complain. Do I make myself clear? Do you think I cook food so that you won't eat it? Do you think I spend my day wondering what I can do for dinner that will be torture for you or what I can make that will be enjoyed by the garbage disposal? It's a waste of my time and a waste of hard-earned money.

Then Peanut, who had gone to the refrigerator and pulled out a glass of milk from earlier. So, I didn't pour him one. Then he began to complain that it tasted funny. Another hot button. And it just kept going....PH gets up during dinner and used the bathroom that is just off the kitchen and doesn't bother to close the door. Then he doesn't flush.

Children, where are your manners? You have done little else but grumble and complain about the food I provide for you. You are being disrespectful and disobedient by not following the rules about food and snacks. You eat things that I buy for other meals and then complain about the meals I have left to make. You make gross noises at the table, you don't flush or wash your hands and then you have the nerve to ask for dessert and I know that you will ask me for a snack in a while. You will sit at the table until you have eaten your dinner to the point where I feel you have made a satisfactory attempt. Have I made myself clear?

I can't figure it out. My work day was not that hard or demanding. I do feel very tired and run down. Are they reflecting my attitudinal vibrations back to me or am I picking up on their bad attitude vibrations? Either way, it was circular and I can't for the life of me figure out what started it. Maybe it isn't important. It was not a good evening. It was frustrating and exhausting. I think it is time for me to go to bed, spend some time praying and start again tomorrow. Hopefully, we will all wake up on the right side of the bed.

No comments: