Sunday, April 20, 2008

One Shoe on the Side of the Road...Mystery Solved

While at the vet on Friday, I was writing out the check and Princess was getting her clawed up hand tended by a tech, another tech came out and said, "Do you want to know what your boys are doing outside?"

There is nothing good that can come after that sentence. I knew she would not be saying "They are sitting pleasantly in the car, buckled and ready to go. It's amazing. How do you get them to do that?" or "They just helped a little old lady across the street" or "They just saved a puppy from being swept down the storm drain." I knew she was not going to say anything that was going to make my mother's heart swell with pride.

I looked her in the eye and said, "I think I already know it's nothing good. Thank you." And we promptly left the building. My heart began to race in anticipation at what sort of mayhem 3 boys could have possibly created in 5 short minutes.

The first thing I noted was that none of them was in the van, as per my instructions. And none of them were wearing shoes. With a sense of impending doom, I opened my mouth to ask a question I really didn't want the answer to, "What are you doing out here?"

PH: "We were kicking our shoes off, to see how far they could go...and one of my shoes landed on this guy's truck...And he drove away."

So, where is your shoe?

PH: It's still on the roof of his truck.

Get in the car now. Which way did he go? And you may want to start praying that your shoe has fallen off the roof of his car soon, so that we can pick it up.

The boys found this to be absolutely hilarious. I watched closely along the road to see if I could see one small black tennis shoe. But to no avail. A lecture ensued about how much this was a real inconvenience to me because it meant that we would now have to go and get him another pair of shoes and these shoes were less than 2 weeks old, so I am really, really unhappy about having to buy another pair for a reason this stupid.

We were driving along the freeway and BB says, "I think I see his shoe...oops, you drove over it." And laughter erupts from the back row of the peanut gallery.

Smart boys would know that right now would NOT be a good time to bring this up, nor would they be laughing about it right now. There is nothing funny about this. And PH, you will be working off the cost of these shoes.

I tried to find the ugliest pair of shoes I could find. Every pair of shoes I found, for a price I was willing to pay, PH thought were "So Cool". Hopefully, when he is working off the $13 for his shoes, he will think a little harder about taking care of his shoes. I'm not holding my breath.

It didn't help my sore feelings too much when I told my parents the story and my Dad covered his mouth and his chest started shaking, as he tried to suppress his laughter. This is one of those stories for the "It will be funny someday" category. I think I will take a picture of PH's lonely shoe before I throw it away and put it in the scrapbook I plan to make called "The Naughty Book" which will include these little tales of mischief and mayhem that I will embarrass my children with later...like when they bring home a prospective mate. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

No comments: