Saturday, April 12, 2008

Unpacking Firebugs

Once again, I have been blessed by the kindness of a friend. A different friend from yesterday, came over today to help me do some unpacking and organizing. She worked with my daughter, organizing her side of the room. What a difference! We lugged almost all the boxes that have been sitting in the living room, taking up the coveted spots on the couches and spoiling the view of the fireplace. I actually do have a floor and it's lovely!

We must have emptied about 20 various containers. Maybe more. It felt so good, I started to vacuum but then I ran over something and burned the belt. Bummer.

It's been a good day. Except when I started to smell that sulfurous smell of burning matches. OH NO! I gave the boys the job of hauling the empty boxes to the garage and I forgot that one of them had some little boxes of matches and a full container of lighter fluid. My stomach sank to my knees. I ran down the stairs yelling, "Why do I smell burning matches?"

"It's Peanut and PH...not me!!" pipes in the usual suspect, BB.

Today's lecture topic: Playing with Fire: what NOT to do when you find matches.

You may not light matches because you find them.
You may not watch someone else light them because you think YOU won't get in trouble for it.
If someone else is doing something STUPID (and I do not use that word lightly, and in this case, it is OK for Mommy to say the word STUPID, now be quiet and listen carefully), do not walk, RUN to Mom.
I will now take questions from the floor.

PH: If someone lights a match, can I blow it out first and then run to get you?

Yes, you can do that.

Peanut: When I lighted the match, I burnted my finger. But I didn't start the kitchen on fire.

That is true. You didn't light the kitchen on fire. But that doesn't mean an accident won't happen the next time. Fires are dangerous. Matches are dangerous. You have to be much older to use matches.

Peanut: But I'm getting bigger. I will be grown up soon and then I can use matches.

You can't use matches until you are 35. End of story. There will be no further questions at this time. Thank you for your attention. We were lucky this time.

No comments: