Saturday, April 5, 2008

Favorite quote from Moving Day

Throughout the day, things would be needed like a power strip for my computer desk, a tool or some other odd item.

And someone would call out, "I know, I think it's in a Box."

It might be one of those "Had to be there" kind of things but it is a memory that I won't forget. There were parts of Moving Day that were difficult for me. I loved the house I was leaving. I was packing up a dream and putting the final nail in the coffin of a relationship. Plus there was the possibility that my ex could show up and I didn't know what was going to happen if he did but I was not looking forward to it.

So, the running joke as well as the other jokes that were plentiful were a great distraction and really helped me to enjoy the day.

Two years ago, I was moving out of my parents home, after living with them for 4 1/2 years. During that period, I had had another baby, gotten divorced, filed for bankruptcy, foreclosed on a house, surrendered a car and gone back to college and graduated with my nursing degree. That moving day was special because I was finally moving out on my own.

It was a very hot day in July, and my apartment was on the second floor. Some of the same guys that helped me today were helping me then. We did a little reminiscing today about that Moving Day. The quote of the day for 2006 was when one guy lifted up an antique chalkboard that belonged to my Grandmother (from her days teaching in the one room schoolhouse) and he said in a joking manner, "What is this...Slate?" And I said, "Yes...yes, it is."

I think he still has nightmares about my chalkboard. Every once in a while, I will say to him, "What is this....slate?" and we both start laughing. Good times.

And now I will have another little inside joke. "I think it's in a box." It's a good way to memorialize an important time. Today marks an important transition for me. Humor is my coping mechanism and how I heal. An inside joke seems appropriate.

No comments: