Monday, April 7, 2008

Talking to Myself

I doubt I am the only person who talks to herself. I don't do it when others are around, or when I think I will be heard. Sometimes it's a pep talk. Sometimes I'm correcting myself. Sometimes I'm teasing myself. I think it is just taking the internal monologue I have and verbalizing it.

Today, I am alone for a few hours. The school kids are at school, after the bus driver and I had to discuss that yes, my kids are supposed to get on the bus today and I did make arrangements with the school for a pick up AND a drop off this afternoon. Peanut, reluctantly, went to daycare. He always claims he hates it there but then comes home chipper and happy. I told him today would be a short day. He figured he would skip nap time. Me on the other hand is praying he gets a nap. I'm tired of Mr. Crabby-pants who refuses to nap for me anymore and I bow at the feet of Sue who can get him to take an hour and half nap every day with NO problems and states he is the "best napper". My theory is she spikes the juice, but whatever.

Back to my day alone. It's peaceful and quiet and I am putting things away. I found the cables to my printer so I decided to hook that up. I have a big desk that is quite heavy. This is my monologue with myself:

"So, Tulip, how are you going to get those cables down the back and through the cut out in the back?
Hmmmm....good question. Maybe if I climb up on the desk and use coat hangers....that could work.
Silly girl..they are plastic coat hangers....they don't flex. ...Ohhhh, Right. Good point. Hmmmmm"

So, then I figured out that if I lowered the cord with the power box down the back, I could fish it through the hole in the back. I even found a couple of little bungee cords which I used to tie down the top of the cables. It was working fine until I encountered another problem.

"Tulip, the power box won't fit through the hole. the desk is too tight against the wall. Maybe you should try to plug in the other part of the cable and leave the box in the back....Ok, that should work...."

However, after much struggling, grunting, scratching of my wrist on the wood, I realized that this was not working.

"You know, maybe you should have put the whole cable together first. That would be easier. Of course, that would imply that you like to do things the easy way and we both know that you don't... ha ha ha...very funny. But that is a good idea. I will plug the other end of the cord in and then fish it through the hole."

I eventually got the cables pulled through but I had to repeat the process a few times when the cord slipped out of my hand. It was enough to make me want to scream. I refrained and maintained control and dignity. And now I sit back, admiring my desk and patting myself on the back because I got all my components connected and I have tucked all the wires away. It looks nice and tidy.

"Good job Tulip. You did it."

No comments: