Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Another candle on the cake...

I don't recommend lighting 38 candles. Not without warning the fire department in advance and taking all other proper precautions. All kidding aside, I do not dread this birthday. Even with the supposedly dreaded BIG 4-0 looming around the corner. I have earned every hour, day, week and month of this year. The laugh lines emerging around my eyes...they are from laughing. I have very few frown lines because I don't frown for long. I have had a tough year but looking back, I see that it is just part of my journey. And for that, I feel like celebrating!

What I have learned between the year of 37 and 38:

1. Life is unpredictable. Tornadoes can blow through your neighborhood. You can watch a client go through the devastation of losing everything in a house fire. The government can garnish your wages for a tax issue that turns out to be a mistake and while the money will be refunded...it is not returned as quickly as it was taken.

My take home lessons from these observations: Get renter's insurance. Improve my filing and save everything financial. Don't give up, even if you are in the wrong, ask the questions and get the answers. You may be surprised!

2. Children really change a lot in a year. Last summer, I could not trust my kids to be alone for more than an hour tops and even then they managed to find trouble. This lead to a couple visits from the Sheriff's department, a couple phone calls from Social Services and a tiny blurb about an escapade on the roof in the newspaper. Throughout the year, each of my children has shown increased maturity. Princess does an excellent job keeping track of Peanut. She is also learning how to cook and can make simple dinners or lunches. With the exception of Peanut, the kids can manage being home if they are sick without a Hover Mother and they know they can reach me by cell or text.

My take home lessons from these experiences: Babysitting class for Princess. Clear rules about where the kids can and cannot play. Safety rules like keeping the doors locked and the garage shut, don't answer the door and sticking together when they do play outside. I also talked a lot about how we are a family and we are to look out for each other because that is what families do. A big key is COMMUNICATION.

3. Managing a family is hard. Duh. So, not only do I have my job but now I have children in elementary and middle school. There are school parties, youth group activities, projects, projects and more projects. Add in to that basketball practice and games, baseball practice and games, concerts and conferences, and lots and lots of doctor appointments.

Take home lesson: Calendar!! We have also learned that we can't say yes to everything and sometimes we have to choose.

4. Money is a tool but without good management skills, it is a monster.

Take home lesson: seek wise counsel. Diligence, patience and hard work.

5. Enjoy the sunshine, the laughter and embrace the silly now and then.

No comments: