Saturday, May 16, 2009

Saturday Stuff

I love Saturdays. It is probably my favorite day of the week. Even if I spend a bit of time doing my least favorite activities revolving around housework, I still enjoy Saturday.

Today, I went to my Weight Watcher's meeting and decided that my number is not moving in the right direction. I need to get myself excited again. My daughter wants to go on walks with me. So, I decided that when I got home, we would take a walk. I did not factor in that it was so cold! However, that did not deter us. My now 8 year old PH, had a new razor scooter that he wanted to try out. BB grabbed his bike, Princess pulled Peanut in the wagon and we walked. I grabbed my camera, just in case I found photo worthy opportunities. With kids, I always do.

We walked over towards this area that has these drainage ponds. BB told me he saw a fish and thought it was a Muskie. I laughed and then told him that the water is not deep enough for Muskie but there may be Crappies or Bullhead's in there.

I really enjoyed watching the kids running back and forth between two ponds that are connected by two large concrete pipes. They figured out these make excellent communication devices so one would lie down at one end and then another would lie down at the other and they would call back and forth or sing a song to each other. Then PH got the idea of spitting into the water and running back to watch it come out the other side.

My favorite moment was when BB, with his hood pulled around his face, his cheeks rosy from the wind, smiling broadly, said, "This is starting out to be a really good day."

Some days, I look at him, remembering back just 6 months ago when he was pitching fits, hitting me, destroying lamps, and I can hardly believe this is the same boy. Something has change in him. I don't know what it is. I don't know when it happened but this child is happy. And it is fantastic! To see this, it makes everything worth it. We both learned a lot and have grown and changed.

Yesterday, it was PH's 8th birthday and we were driving over to Grandma's for a party. The kids were excited and were bouncing, literally, out of their seats. I was telling them all to buckle up and BB starts to repeat everything I say. I said, "I don't need a chorus."

BB suddenly breaks into song, "Happy...birthday....happy...happy...birthday...." It was so cute, I started laughing silently and he says, "Mom, why are you bouncing?"

At that point, I just burst out laughing. The tension was broken. That's my funny, bright boy.

No comments: