Saturday, March 22, 2008

Cranky Mom

Day 2 for Cranky Mom-the Patient. Ironic because I am far from being patient. Everything hurts. I don't sleep well. I can't eat hardly anything because everything hurts going down, even water. But I'm so thirsty. And every little thing is excruciatingly irritating. It's just not good.

However, I can tell that I do feel better because yesterday, I did not care what my house looked like. I didn't care what my kids did, as long as it didn't involve any sort of danger or bodily harm to one another, and didn't require anything of me. I just wanted to lay on the couch, sleep and count down the hours til bedtime. Today is a different story. I do care what the house looks like. The word Pig-sty comes to mind. It irritates me and I have made a few feeble attempts to rectify it but then my head starts to hurt or my back starts to ache and I am reminded that I am still under the weather.

The weirdest thing, and grossest too is that when I sneeze, I just want to scream because I think my throat is going to rip apart into shreds and huge chunks of mucus come forth. I sure hope I don't have to do that again. Yet another thing I don't remember about having strep throat. Ick.

And to make matters even more challenging, BB decides that today he will throw a huge fit, call his sister a really nasty name that I will not repeat but my ears are ringing from it and then when I try to instill discipline, he fights me tooth and nail. I had to forcibly carry him to his room while he tries to first, wrap his leg around my legs in order to trip me, then he grabs the wall of the stairs as we go down. I told him he needed to stay in there for 30 minutes and get himself under control. I laid out the rules: No throwing things, no holes in the door, no destruction... He was out in a few minutes, still growling and ornery, so I tried again. He refused to walk of his own free will so I picked him up and carried him again. When I opened the door to his room, I saw that he had in essense up-ended everything in his room. I told him that he had 30 minutes in his room and that should be plenty of time to put things back in order.

I called my mom during all of this. She has offered to come over this afternoon and just be another adult in the house for a few hours. Thank the Lord. I don't know if I can do it. I tried my hardest to keep my cool and I did. But I was right on the edge of losing it.

After 15 minutes, he came out and was like a completely different child. He was calm. He later apologized to me for yelling at me and then apologized for saying mean, nasty things to his sister and he cleaned up most of his mess in the hallways. He will need some coaching to get his room cleaned because there is a little trick to getting his bed back together but I told him he will do the work, I will just stand there and give directions.

I think this is coming from the anticipation of our move in a couple of weeks. He has 4 more days of school and then we begin moving to our new house and then he will start at a new school on April 7. He does not deal well with transitions and changes. It comes out in storms like this. And these storms are hard enough to deal with when I am not sick. Throw my own battle with crankiness in there and we have a big mess. I also learned at lunch that he did not take his Strattera this morning like I thought he had. Apparently, I will need to go back to watching him take it again because I can't trust that he will do it without me checking up on him.

No comments: