Thursday, March 6, 2008

Sick Day #3

My son PH is the elementary school version of Typhoid Mary. He didn't have a fever yesterday. I had "diagnosed" him with croup which occurs only at night. So I sent him off to school. He was perfectly willing to go as well. Later in the day, I got an email from my clinic saying that his overnight strept culture was POSITIVE. Uh oh. Then I got a call from the nurse saying he needs an antibiotic and where did I want it sent. By this time, the day was over at school and other kids were already infected.

In my head I am imagining him going about his day and talking with his friends and alls these little strept bugs flying out of his mouth and landing on the other children. I have a very active imagination and a very guilty conscience. The school nurse made me feel better and said I followed all the school protocol. I kept him home after his fever and when he was 24 hours fever free, he went back to school. I didn't knowingly send him to school with strep. I thought he was negative. That did help my guilt a little.

Poor little man is home today though, looking miserable. He has a fever again. Wet the bed again, for the 3rd night in a row. He is lethargic and glassy-eyed. So a quiet day on the couch with full control of the TV remote is what he is getting. He is watching re-runs of Tom and Jerry cartoons on Boomerang. It is far less annoying to me than other cartoons because at least it is a musical score behind it.

I am no longer running with the bulls but I still don't feel real well. I am very tired and my legs feel shaky and weak. So I must have some sort of virus as well but probably not strept. I haven't had a fever. Just the other lower GI symptoms and fatigue. So, a low key day at home will be good for me too. Thankfully, I didn't have anything booked at work..just meetings and I can always get filled in later on anything pertinent.

No comments: