Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Moving has begun

We did two trips back and forth between what I now call the "Northern estate" and the "Southern estate". BB was very helpful today. I was really quite floored when he was trying to carry boxes and even roping PH (who now wants to be called Pumkin He 4...It means something to him. I just smile and shrug, "Oo-Kay") into trying to carry boxes out to the van.

Queen of the Post-It Lives again. I went through the kitchen with my blue stickies and figured out where I am going to put all my kitchen items and labeled them as such. That part was kind of fun because I have never before, in my many moves, been able to just relax and plan out the kitchen without stacks of boxes behind me and the panic of "Which box has the "Mac-n-Cheese" pan in it?" or needing something practical like a glass. Today, I could be leisurely and plan my attack.

I brought over my good china and my crystal goblets and put them away. Tomorrow, I will bring over more not-so essential kitchen items (leaving the bare essential items in the North).

I have high hopes of getting all of this fussy stuff that takes a lot of time and a lot of boxes taken care of during my week off, before my crew of friends comes to lug the big pieces of furniture into the U-Haul and then out again at the Southern estate. I would like the big moving day to be more relaxed and fun and not take up the WHOLE day for my friends.

However, tonight, my bones are creaking. My neck is tight and I feel muscles complaining that are usually very quiet. So, I don' t know if I will be able to handle moving a lot of this stuff alone. Even with BB's help. He's only 52 lb 9 year old and weighs about the same as some of the boxes I am packing (If you are one of my crew reading this, I'm just kidding about that...most boxes are under 49.9 lbs :) ). And I am counting down the minutes til I can take a Flexaril, my muscles turning into wet noodles and floating off to sleep.

So, I would say my packing plans are fluid at this point. I will do what I can, shuttle what I can to the south and re-use as many boxes as I can because I really do not feel like bugging the grocery stores or lurking behind the liquor stores and dumpster diving for cardboard. I kind of like the pack and unpack approach...more work on the front end, less work on the back end.

If I survive, that is.

No comments: