Friday, March 28, 2008

Getting in touch with the panic within

In 1 week, my kids and I are moving out of a house and into a townhouse. It's a really cute townhouse and I am excited about it. I signed a year lease yesterday and did the walk-through, got the keys and the garage door opener. But now I am sitting here at "Oh too early in the morning", practically in a cold sweat, freaking out about how I am going to fit my furniture into that townhouse without making it seem like we have just shoved everything in and we are climbing on top of each other. And I will admit, I'm panicking a little.



Tulip, take some deep breaths. It will be ok. It will work....In with the good...out with the bad...Deep breath in, and exhale.



I bought a pad of graph paper and tonight I am taking my kids and my parents over for a tour, so I am also going to bring a measuring tape. That will help ease my mind. My mom will also have some good ideas on how to use the space without feeling cramped. It is good that I have the next week off to pack and sort, and get rid of stuff that we really do not need. And perhaps some things will just need to be stored in the garage for the next time we move.



This townhouse was for rent or for sale. Some have asked me if I will buy it. I think that the answer is going to be no. It will be nice for the time being. I will share a bedroom with my daughter and we will be ok. We did that for 4 years before. But I know myself enough to know that at some point it will wear on me and I am going to need more space, personal and private space. But I can handle it for a year.



I know it is going to be fine. I just have to see it to believe it. And then, being the worry-wart that I am, I am already thinking a year ahead and worrying about yanking my kids out of their surroundings again...



RELAX....deep breath in.....exhale....

This is the verse I am going to think about and meditate on:


Matthew 6:24
"So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. "

The Lord is guiding my steps and leading me along this path. I don't know what will happen in year. All I have is today and even that is not a guarantee. However, I can plan for today and do what I need to do for today. And I can plan for what I will do with this lovely shelter the Lord has provided. It is an opportunity to simplify things, so that is good. The last thing I need to do is to panic. Perhaps that is why it was good to wake up at "Oh so early" and put some sanity back in amidst the panic that can occur in the throws of that half-awake dreamy state.

I feel better now. Calmer and more relaxed. I would like to go back to bed and dream of Prince Charming on a white horse, carrying me off in to the sunset to live happily ever after but I haven't had that dream since I was a girl. And it is now about 4 minutes before my alarm would be going off, so I guess I will go and take care of things for today like making lunches and getting dressed...maybe unloading the dishwasher and personal hygiene so that I am fit for presentation in society.

Thank you Lord for grabbing my attention. It seems like my life is so chaotic and noisy that the early hours of the morning are the only ones where I am quiet enough to hear you talking.

No comments: