Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Apparently My Parental Threatening Was Effective

Daughter got up with significantly less coaxing this morning. I did do a lot of prompting last night to make sure that she turned HER alarm on because the MOM ALARM would be out of commission.

When I went downstairs to begin the morning ritual of the Making of the Lunches…And No, I did not follow through on my good intention of preparing lunch bags ahead of time because I came home from work, after a harrowing drive home in the cold and blizzard-like conditions, topped off with the evening effects of Cold Accumulation with the Sneezing, Stuffy-head, Aches and generally feeling like Crud…I was counting down the minutes, even the seconds until I could shoo the children into their beds so that I could follow and burrow into mine.

To my surprise this morning, daughter had actually made her own sandwich and was getting herself ready to go WITHOUT prompting. She really does not want Mom to follow through on the Unexcused Tardy threat and No Free Rides.

Excellent….

Too bad this is not as motivating to the boys. I just can not seem to light a fire under them. I was really doing well today too. I had everyone dressed and downstairs at 7:30 and then BB remarked, “Why do we have to leave now? It’s too early.”

Rats. Can’t fool them anymore now that they can tell time.

So, we waited through an episode of George of the Jungle. And then proceeded to repeat the usual Mad Dash and Scurry to find Hats, Coats, Mittens, Backpacks and Shoes followed by “Did you grab your lunch off the counter?”

Then to upset the balance in my life even further, my garage door opener decides that it is going to work again. I believe it is because I have contacted the maintenance guy and he is going to have a pro come out and take a look. The same thing happened with my dishwasher. My appliances only act up for me but when repair people come, they are on their best behavior, making me look like a babbling idiot.

It is so true that Life is just not Fair. One things goes right, something else must go wrong.

No comments: