Friday, December 12, 2008

Grown-ups like toys too

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!! It's like Christmas and my birthday all rolled into one! I got my new computer at work today and it is a tablet with a wireless card! I was so surprised and then so excited I was jumping out of my skin!!! I know it isn't nice but I did find it very funny that I have been very quiet about this and while I am not the first to get one, I am one of the first in the second batch of us to get them. The intake mental health team have had their tablets for almost a year except for one guy on the team who does not like to switch over to new technology(he still dictates most of his notes and has them transcribed because he does not like to type any more than he has to and when you are 61 years old and know retirement is around the corner, I can see his point). Those of us that have had to wait for our tablets have been patient but not always quiet. I have kept my excitement inside.

The IT guy came to my cube this morning and did some IT stuff to my old computer and then said that he could get my tablet set up pretty quickly. I figured that meant a week.

He came back with it in it's shoulder bag right before lunch. One of my co-workers jokingly started to whine about it and he looked at her and said, "Didn't you know that I choose who gets the next one based on who has not been whining in my ear about it?"

It's not nice but I chuckled. And I chuckled out loud in front of other people. To my credit, I covered my mouth so as not to sound horribly loud and bemused. In actuality, the tablets are replacing computers in order of age...newest to oldest because the newest towers are going to office based staff who don't need to be mobile, so it is completely random as to who gets it.

I'm excited that I can take my tablet with me to appointments. I did so this afternoon and it is nice to have put things into my computer and when I don't have to worry about losing my scraps of paper. I can also work in my car or in restaurant in between appointments if I don't have time to go back to the office. This happens often, no matter how well I try to plan my day, I find some appointments just go quickly but there is no point driving 20 minutes to the office only to have to turn right around and go back out again.

OK, I will confess that I do feel just a little bit cooler. I also find it ironic that I, the once upon a time Techno-phobe, is now fully embracing technology. I have my mobile computer, my mobile phone. I text message, I email, I blog and facebook. Next up, GPS.

No comments: