Monday, December 8, 2008

Signs that I am getting Older

  1. My tolerance for loud has decreased exponentially with each passing year. I used to be able to crank up my radio and sing at the top of my lungs for the whole trip, whether it was 10 minutes or 3 hours. Now, I am perfectly satisfied to have the TV set on 10, the radio on 6 and the kids on mute.
  2. I am finding that I want to wear my reading glasses more and more. Blech. And if I take them off, it takes several minutes for my eyes to readjust. I think this means I really do need them and I am just not trying to be “cool”.
  3. I fall asleep at 9:45 pm. Last night, I was yawning and was sure it was almost 11pm. I shuddered when I looked at the clock and realized that it was not even 10pm. I decided that I would force myself to stay up another hour so that I could enjoy the quiet of the house for a while. However, by 10:30, I gave up and crawled into bed. My days of staying up until 2 or 3 in the morning are past.
  4. I sound way too much like my parents on way too many occasions. I have caught myself saying things like “You will do it because I said so.” “Don’t come crying to me when …” “If you had done the job right in the first place, you wouldn’t have to do it again.” (I do pat myself on the back because I have NOT used the parental phrase “half-baked job”)
  5. There are things that have begun to travel south that used to be further north and that is all I am going to say about that. But it is a sad realization.

No comments: