Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Grouchy Momma Alert

I am on a rampage this week. I apologize in advance if you cross my path. It’s going to be a very CRAZY week. Mondays are absolutely Nuts-o.

I start my day at O-way to early in the morning (OK, 6am) and I shower, get myself ready and then proceed to wake dear daughter up from her coma. While she gradually awakens, I am busy making 4 lunches and locating matching socks by searching through baskets of clean clothes because while I did have time to wash all the laundry, I did not have time to FOLD all the clean laundry and from the looks of the week ahead…I won’t have time to do it any time soon.

At 6:58, Dear Daughter is supposed to be heading out the door to the bus but now she is pouting on the couch because she can’t find her sweatshirt.

So, what do you want me do about it? Is it going to just run up to you and say ‘Here I am?’ You have to go look for it.

“But I have looked EVERYWHERE.”

Oh, so now pouting on the couch is going to solve the problem? Daughter, I cannot do everything for you. You need to go look for it yourself because I am finishing up the lunches.

I did a quick search around the living room and low and behold, I found her sweatshirt wadded up next to the chair. I then had to go all the way upstairs only to find her pouting on her bed staring at the floor. Perhaps she was using telepathy in order to find it?

I suggested to her that she perhaps use her hands instead and turning on the lights would not be unheard of and could even be helpful. She did not think I was wise and gave me “a look”. She’s almost a teenager and I am cringing. The Moody Roller Coaster is about to launch.

She races out the door and now I run around the house getting the boys up, dressed, socks and shoes on. Solving mini-crises as I go and finally get us out the door at 7:45. The rest of my day is fairly typical except for a really scary guy who may or may not be the roommate of my new client and sent off major Creep Warning Bells from head to toe. That has never happened in the 2 years I have been doing this job or the 5 ½ years I have been working in mental health. So, I know I need to heed that warning and get the heck out of Dodge. It took me about 45 minutes to stop shaking.

And now the Mad Dash of the Evening begins. Pick up Dear Daughter at 5:05. Pick up 3 boys at 5:10. Pick up McDonalds for BB at 5:25. It’s snowing like crazy. The roads are bad and my boys continue to horse around in the car and take their seat belts off which sends me into a frenzied panic and forces me to raise my voice in fear and frustration and resort to threats of serious bodily harm and thoughts of their bloody entrails spewed across the highway, marring the beautiful white snow if they don’t buckle up RIGHT NOW!!! Drop BB off at basketball practice at 5:45 then head off to church for Bible study. I was dismayed that I had promised Dear Daughter we would pick up Burger King because they have Wii toys but I realized that we would not cross paths with a BK and in this kind of weather, I was not too inclined to go out of my way. So, we hit another McDonalds.

After Bible Study, at 8:45, we are back on the road, in the snow and heading over to Grandma’s to pick up BB. I deliver Grandma’s birthday present but had hoped to stop in for 5 MINUTES TOPS but Peanut announces that “I have to go really bad. RIGHT NOW.” And he could not possibly wait 10 more minutes til we get home. I really think he wanted to ask Grandpa for a Starburst and watch Grandma open her present.

At 9:30, we are back on the road and arrive home at 9:50pm. I chase the boys and daughter to bed. I attempt to stay up and monitor the bedtime but I am exhausted. I have snapped at the children way too many times. I know that I am really pushed beyond my limits.

This morning, I have the treats for our staff meeting. I decide to make Carmel rolls that are sort of from scratch. I use Pilsbury buttermilk biscuits but make the Carmel from scratch. In the evening, it will be homework time, cleaning of the living room because Wednesday is church night and Thursday is Peanuts 6th birthday party. Sometime in there I have to make a cake, decorate it with RED letters via Peanuts request.

My house is a disaster. My family is coming over on Thursday. My boys are wild and fighting with each other constantly. I am tired just thinking of it. And I know that I will have many grouchy moments. You have been warned.

No comments: