Monday, December 1, 2008

Post Thanksgiving Posting

You could have knocked me down with a feather…

The intern who insulted me a while back completely floored me today by telling me how much he appreciates the work that I do because he knows first hand that often the Psych nurse is doing a lot of the medication education with the patients because the psychiatrists only spend about 5 minutes per client doing a med check.

It might sound weird and very woman-like, but I found myself fighting back a tear.
*****************************************

Other news from the Thanksgiving weekend…

I cooked a big turkey. It was a little over 20 lbs and considering it was going to be myself and my 4 kids, that is a lot of turkey. My kids don’t eat a lot of turkey anyway so I had planned out what I would do with the inevitable leftovers ahead of time.

I kind of wish I had a recording of me wrestling this big boy. First of all, I did not get him completely thawed. I remembered this year that I needed to take out the neck. However because he was still frozen, I couldn’t actually get the neck out. My Mom just happened to call me while I was making stuffing and I lamented my problem. She assured me that I could just go ahead and used hot water to thaw the turkey and get the neck out.

Stuffing this guy was a real wrestling match. He was cold and slimy and would not cooperate. I wasn’t sure if I should put him in the bag first and stuff him or should I stuff him and then put him in the bag. I chose the first and kind of regretted it because I think I made my task harder. A couple of times I had to lift him up and cram stuffing down inside and he would skid across my counter. I will admit I let out a few girlish screams. I managed to get all 8 cups of bread stuffing inside him.

I don’t know how I managed to get him in the oven. I might have blacked out.

My big bird turned out to be ok. A little dry. Since I used one of those bags I think I could have shaved off about half an hour of cooking time with that. But in the long run, since most of the bird is cut up and bagged in my freezer or thrown into Wild Rice soup, it doesn’t matter.

My relaxing, traditional Thanksgiving was interrupted by PH developing several abdominal pain that was growing steadily worse, to the point where he was doubled over and his face was scrunched up in pain. I called the nurses line to see if I should go to urgent care or to the ER. When I felt his belly and it felt hard as a rock, before she even said it, I knew I was headed for the ER.

Thankfully, he was ok. The official diagnosis was “We don’t really know what it is. It’s probably a virus but the good thing is that it is not related to his surgery. It’s not a bowel obstruction. There’s no blood in his stool and no urinary infection. We have ruled out the bad stuff.” I was grateful for that because I had visions of watching the nurses put an NG tube down my son’s nose and I was not looking forward to that. Instead, I got to hold his hand while the nurse used a gloved finger to collect a stool specimen. That was enough. For both of us.

No comments: